The Supreme Court on Monday stated that the MHT CET 2020 could not be deferred in light of its earlier orders, which dismissed the plea seeking postponement of JEE Main and NEET 2020. A bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan and R Subhash Reddy have passed the order.
The petitioner represented by advocate Shivaji M Jadhav cited the increasing number of COVID-19 cases in Maharashtra to claim that holding the examinations in such a situation posed a grave risk to students. Jadhav said, “Conducting the MHT CET amid the COVID-19 crisis would pose a massive threat to the health and safety of lakhs of students and also other stakeholders such as examiners, invigilators, and other support staff."
In the hearing, the court said, "We already allowed conducting JEE-NEET, how can we now stop exams in one state?” On August 22, Supreme Court had dismissed a plea seeking the postponement of the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test, NEET, and Joint Entrance Examination JEE Main, scheduled to be held in September 2020.
Last week, the minister said that the biggest problem in conducting the CET exam is the large number of students who will appear for the exam. A total of 5.5 lakh students have registered for the examination this year.
To examine by following all the social distancing rules is the biggest concern. He also added that the CET Commissioner is surveying whether the CET exam can be conducted at the taluka level as well at the divisional level. The commissioners had been given autonomous powers to conduct the examination.
Recently, Commissioner of CET Cell, Sandeep Kadam said that the examination would be conducted online, but not in a proctored manner, and there was no chance of considering JEE Mains scores for engineering admissions.
The exam was earlier scheduled on April 13 to 23 which, was later postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Schools and colleges in Maharashtra are shut till August 31 under the Ministry of Home Affairs’ Guidelines issued under the National Disaster Management Act.